Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Dear Lance,

As sad as it may seem, I enjoy reading of your struggles, both internal and external. I really liked the quote on page 15, "And then, at that moment it occered to me: I might lose my life, too. Not just my sport." I don't know why, but it just seemed to hit me as well: You were that close to death, and stayed dedicated to your passions and your persuits. I wish I was that driven in everything I did.
I of course enjoyed the sections on pages 23 and on about your transformation into an avid biker and competitor. Just getting into cycling myself, I would love to be as good as you some day, and a triathalon would be a goal of mine for the future. (First I need to work on that swimming...) It's cool that you were sponsered at such a young age, and that your earning could go toward helping your mom, since your dad left.
I don't really know what else to say. While I can't agree with all the choices you made, such as leaving your first cycling manager like that (30) or leaving your wife (haven't gotten there yet), I respect you and all you have done for cycling and endurance sports in general. I would especially like to ask about you leaving your wife, since I don't know when I'll get there, and I would like to write it in a "letter": Why would you leave, even after you had to grow up wiht "3 fathers," and you knew hard it was? That just makes no sense, especially with a baby at home.

Michael

P.S. I would enjoy reading an updated copy including your 7th win and drug charges, if you would care to make one.

7 comments:

Annabel said...

This book sounds really good, I've never been interested in reading a book about him, but maybe I will. I also really like your quote.

Dan said...

I didn't know Lance Armstrong had drug charges for his seventh win! Would your respect for him decrease if you knew he used steroids on his last race?

Monika said...

I would like to read an updated copy also, maybe with some thoughts on Sheryl Crow and her adopting a baby. Nice theme- it reflects your perspective on life I think.

edinacaitlin said...

ahaha Monika. You are so nice even after Michael is mean to you. But I like your quotes Michael.

Anonymous said...

haha Michael, I love your first sentence. "I know it sounds terrible but I love reading about your struggles" Sounds rather dark. It would, however, be really cool to read about Lance Armstrong. Dude, he had drug charges? Is it true...??? Let mmmehhh knowww!

KG

Ken said...

you should send that letter to him.

Sarah Jane said...

Michael...same thing as last week. Thanks for asking!