Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Thousand Spendid Suns: Week 5, Post B

QUOTE ANALYSIS

"She watched him walk away, shivering where she stood. She thought, volumes, and another shudder passed through her, a current of something sad and forlorn, but also something eager and recklessly hopeful."

Wow. I called that. I knew Tariq was coming back. They made it seem obvious that he was dead, but, as a veteran 24 watcher, I knew he was NOT dead. It was too easy, he was written out of the story in too simple of a way. So, that to me, was an easy call.
Now, about the quote. I think that the mix of "sad and forlorn" and "eager and recklessly hopeful" shows that while it may never be quite the same between her and Tariq, the eagerness and the the hope can bring things back close to where they once were. I really like the word choice in this quote as well...the "current of something..." and the "shudder passed through her" really give you feeling of what she's feeling, and I think are very descriptive phrases that really display moods.
To just go into a little more detail, I think that the sad and forlorn is the past, the longing for the times they had together, and the knowledge that they'll never have those times again. They may be together again, but the knowledge that they missed all those years and that they can never really be together really stings.
However, the something "eager and recklessly hopeful" are pretty obvious if you know the characters. Two lovers. Separated by war. Believed to be dead. Reunited. It's pretty cliche, but somehow in this story, it works. Even if I did see it coming from a mile away. It still works.

No comments: