Monday, December 17, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Week 6, Post B

I think this post comes at a good time in the reading in the fact that it's not only the end of the section, but also the end of the section. I think I'd like to use this free post as a way of setting forth how I felt about this tough spot in the book.
In the beginning, I really admired Mariam, her courage, her strength, her guts to go with Rasheed even when she didn't know him and had no want to get married. I think that was, in a way, the way to show her character. She's tough in the way that she'll do what she's told without too much complaining, and without questioning the reason.
However, I can't lie, she really made me mad in the middle of the book. I thought, incorrectly at the time, that she'd easily accept Laila into her life, seeing as she had been in a similar spot herself. However, she was stuck, rude, and hurtful without reason.
She finally came around, however, and just in time as Laila seemed to be reaching her breaking point with the baby on the way. Mariam joined up with Laila, and together they rebelled against Rasheed and got more and more freedoms. However, things always seemed to be on edge, and the tension continued. In my own personal preference, however, Mariam continued to move up.
As the story continued, Mariam became more and more of a hero. And finally, she died a hero, strong, couragious, and without question. Although often times when someone passes away, people look back at only the good things they've done. I will remember Mariam as a hard working person who had their ups and downs, but came through when needed and died supporting her friends.

No comments: