Monday, November 12, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Week 1 Post B

Dear Khaled Hosseini,
     I have only read about 200 pages of your book, but let me just say, it's amazing. Now, I have not read Kite Runner, so I'm sure there is better reading to come, but this book as changed the way I look at the world, let me just say that. Your description of life in Afghanistan is amazing,  with rockets flying over houses, and people scared to go outside. I feel like I'm there...which most of the time is not a good thing!
     Another thing I've never really thought about was the switching and courtship of wives by men of all ages. Mariam was 15 when she was essentially assigned to her husband Rasheed. This must have been tough, but I suppose the fact that she was already living unhappily living with her father must have made it easier. Laila was more or less the same age, probably younger when she was chosen as the NEW wife for Rasheed. Not only would that be hard for Laila, it would be tough for Mariam, getting pushed out of the relationship. That's obviously something we rarely think about in America, but it's for sure something to consider.
     The other thing I really like that you did was the subtle relationship between Tariq and Laila. Although we didn't see it too long, it was pretty interesting to see the two interact, and become "more than friends." I thought that, although I don't know how important it will end up being, it was a very interesting story.
      And finally, I'd just like to say that my favorite part of the book was when Mariam comes home from her father's house, after the driver drops her off. I don't like it because it's happy, because it's not. At all. I like it because it's probably one of the few moments in a book that actually caused me to lose my breath. There are moments where this happens, in Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Perfect Mile, to name a few, but I read a lot of books, and let me say it is not a common occurance. Well done, Mr. Hosseini.

Thanks for the book!

Michael

3 comments:

Blake said...

Michael,
interesting book choice. My mom has read Kite Runner and she loved it. When ever I need to read a book for english she wants me to read Kite Runner. I'm sure that this book will be just as good, if not better. I too have a hard time thinking of getting married at such a young age.

Dan said...

"[...]The first 200 pages"? Did you mean twenty?

Dan said...

no, i guess you are 200 pages into it. I'm have only read to around page 78, but so far it is great. Hosseini really connects with the reader empathetically.