Monday, November 19, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Week 2, Post B

Well, here it goes...
I was just thinking as I was reading about the differences between our world, and theirs in Afghanistan. The most striking difference to me at least was the arranged marriages. I mean, I'm sure it's happened for centuries, but I've never really thought about it. This first came into play toward the beginning. "You have a suitor[...] His name is Rasheed" (43). To this, Mariam is shocked, just as I was. "Is this true? What she's saying, is it true?" (43) she asks her father. I don't think she'd thought much on the subject, and neither had I. The idea that someone else chooses a husband or wife for you is something we don't have to think about here in the U.S., but it is a big issue in other countries, mainly third-world countries. The whole topic even comes up AGAIN when Rasheed is choosing yet another wife. The fact that he says Mariam is "lucky" to be kept in the house (even if as a slave of sorts) and not thrown on the streets just seems to harsh to us as Americans who don't really deal with this, but I would assume it's a provident, or at least uncommon, occurence to those people.
Just thought I'd touch on something I know I hadn't thought about, and see what I could discover!

No comments: