Monday, November 26, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Week 3, Post A

Vocab

Bodice: (221) The upper part of a women's dress.

Pakols: (232) Green army uniforms worn by Mujahideen military men.

Figurative Language

"Do you know how lucky you are to have a man who's not afraid of Shaitan himself?" (228). This is irony because the speaker, Rasheed, is one of the weakest and most pathetic men you can find.

"Her heart took flight" (226). This is personification because, obviously, her heart cannot simply fly, it is used to describe her excited feeling.

"...like waves crashing upon her, consuming her." This is a simile because it uses like (or as) to compare the realization of leaving to waves crashing. I really like this one.

Quote

"I guess some people can't be dead enough" (221).
I really liked this quote, because it kind of shows, with out being specific, how people tend to think badly of people, even when they're gone or dead. Rasheed says "if I could get my hands on him..." Even though the boy is dead, Rasheed still feels harsh toward him. And even now, as a general population, we think mean things toward people, even when they're dead. I chose this quote because it is something that struck me as harsh (although I shouldn't be surprised) and is something I think we can fix.

Theme

Nothing is impossible in life, I chose this because I think even though a friendship between Mariam and Laila seemed totally out of reach, Laila kept trying for it, and finally got her wish.

No comments: