Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Kite Runner: Week 3, Post B

"I envied her. Her secret was out. Spoken. Dealt with. I opened my mouth, almost told her how I'd betrayed Hassan, lied, driven him out, and destroyed a 40 year relationship between Baba and Ali. But I didn't. I suspected there were many ways in which Soraya Taheri was a better person than me. Courage was just one of them" (165).

This I think was a tough thing for Amir to handle. He decided to get married to Soraya even though his father was dying, knowing it would make his father, and him, quite happy.
I really liked this except from the book, the simplicity, the tone, just the general way it's written, I think it's all great.
However, it's a sad and true quote. Seeing Amir growing up, I think we can say- safely and sadly- that Soraya is a better person, and definetly a more couragous person. I understand that Amir has a much tougher thing to disclose, but I think he ought to get it off his chest as soon as possible and would have been much better off to talk about it before he even left Afghanistan.
I know it was the wrong thing to set up his friend, but I think talking about that and getting that out would be nice, too.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Read my post B.

Dan said...

I was going to use that quote. I don't know what to think about Amir. He seems like a wuss at times, but then seems really compassionate and understanding at others. What do you think of him?