Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sound Track of The Odyssey: Athena

For the character of Athena, I chose the song "Day Tripper" by The Beatles. Now, barring all drug refrences, the lyrics point to someone going on quick trips somewhere. Our character of Athena goes on many short voyages to places, and has plans to travel to many more.
"While I myself go down to Ithica, rouse his son to a braver pitch, inspire his heart with courage to summon the flowing-haired Acheaens to fully assemble, speak his mind to all those suitors, slaughtering on and on his droves of sheep and shambling longhorn cattle. Next I will send him to Sparta and sandy Pylos, there to learn of his father's journey home" (Book 1 102-110). Obviously, Athena has many plans as to where to go and how to get there. She's a trooper who's not afraid to go new places and is calm in the face of danger. "[...] he weighed in his mind the course Athena charter" (Book 3 444). She has plans for how to get somewhere, and a reason why, which is something we don't see much in our world, and I really respect. Athena truly is a day tripper.
In the classic song by The Beatles, they say "[...] She took me half the way there" just like how Athena takes Telemachus places, but won't do everything for him. I think the Beatles had a really good, and overlooked song in this one, and I really like the voice in this piece. As shown, Telemachus and Athena go on many adventures, but they're splitting the work evenly. She's a team player, which I think is great, and she's a strong figure. Really a day tripper.

No comments: