Tuesday, October 9, 2007

It's Not About the Bike: Week 3 Post B

Lance-
I'm going to be honest with you right away. I've never really thought very highly of you. Why? I don't really know. For some reason my family has never really seen you as a hero, and so growing up, neither did I. Don't get me wrong, I respect you as a rider and a cancer surivor. But there are certain things (leaving your wife when you knew hard it was to frow up without a father) that I don't like, nor support.
Your book has changed things in my eyes, but I wonder if it is enough. I now know how hard it was on you and your family, how you had to switch hospitals to find the right treatment, and how you had little to know health insurance to cover it. But I would have thought it would show you the importance of having people around you. Yet you left your wife...why did you not learn?
But I didn't right this letter to question or accuse. I think you are a great rider and as I begin to road bike more and more, I understand your pain. I also hope you thanked those doctors oh very well, considering how hard they worked to save you and better yet, get you back into cycling shape. I aspire to be a doctor when I grow up and I respect their attempts very much.
I hope you look back at what you did and reflect. I don't expect you to mend broken ties but I hope you understand how it affected those around you.

Best of Luck,

Michael

2 comments:

Megan said...

i agree with you, i think it's downright dirty of him to have left his wife. i'd really like to know what led him to that decision in his life.

Dan said...

you think of lance as the 7 time winner of the tour de france, and the man who created the livestrong foundation, but not many people know that he left his wife...

off the record