Sunday, October 21, 2007

It's Not About the Bike: Week 5, Post A

VOCAB

Sinew: (174) A tendon or nerve, especially one dressed as a cord or thread.
Braggadocious: (166) Overly boastful, showing braggart-like traits.

APPEALS

"You don't get it Bill [...] I keep telling you, I'm not a biker now" (167). This is an emotional appeal, and a pretty big one, because it shows Lance coming to the end of his line, and realizing that he may have have to give up his dream. He thinks that he is no longer going to be able to bike, even though biking is what really drove him through his cancer. It breaks a reader's heart to see someone give up on their dream after struggling for so long.

"By the end of the summer I resembled a healthy person" (172). I think this fits as a logical appeal because not only is it a fact (He looked healthy) it also argues a point, in a way: He's back and ready to go. It's put at the very beginning of a new section because it shows people that this is the beginning of his second chance, and he's going to work at it. (Which, at first, he doesn't.)

"What shape was my life supposed to take? What now? What about my recurring nightmares, my dream?" (181). This is an emotional appeal because it leaves Lance, and readers to think. What will happen? Not only does it make you want to read more, and find out what happens, it makes you almost want to reflect on your life, and find out where you want to go.

QUOTE

"Stacy Pounds had proved that to me. I was physically recovered, but my soul was still healing. I was entering a phase called survivorship" (181). I thought this quote was interesting because it really transitions into a new section of Lance's life, but one word really stuck out to me: Survivorship. Lance hints that you're never really done with cancer, you're either diagnosed, getting surgery, treating with chemo, recovering/waiting, or surviving. Surving means more that people think. Surviving means not only watching out for youself, but also for others: helping those who are diagnosed, giving hope to those going through chemo, and helping to find a cure. It's kind of a second job that comes when you're a survivor.

THEME

You have to work to accomplish your dreams. This is shown because Lance didn't work too hard on his first comeback and it ended badly, then he realized how hard you need to try.

3 comments:

Dan said...

What do you think about the fact that he left his wife?

Ken said...

Yeah Michael. What do you think about that?

Annabel said...

I like the the quote. I agree if you know what it was like to go through cancer you probaly feel more concerned for others with cancer, than someone who has never gone through that would feel.