Sunday, October 7, 2007

It's Not About the Bike: Week 3 Post A

VOCAB

ifosfamide: (89) A chemo drug given to work against many types of cancer.
lactate dehydrogenase: (89) An enzyme found in many types of living organisms.

APPEALS

Logical: "Youman explained that some chemotherapy parients recovered their virility, and somedid not; studies showed about a 50-percent return to normalcy after a year" (77). This is a logical appeal because it is a fact and it shows what the odds were against Lance Armstrong, and how hard he had to fight to beat them.

Emotional: "As long as I could move, I was healthy" (87). This is an emotional appeal because it shows Lance's determination toward staying in shape, and recovering. It's amazing how determined he was, and still is.

Emotional: "I had cancer, and I had no health insurance" (87). This is an emotional appeal because it really makes you feel bad for Lance, and shows how it just became harder for Lance to survive.

QUOTE

"I became a student of cancer" (88). I really like this quote because it makes you feel as though cancer is more powerful, and smarter in general, but if you work hard enough you can defeat it.

THEME

I think a theme is love your friends and family. The people around Lance come together when he is diagnosed and I think that was a big factor in his determination. Also, whenever he feels worried, he knows he can go to his mother, she is very important.

1 comment:

Annabel said...

I really like your first emotional appeal. It shows you that the smallest things can give someone confidence.