Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Kite Runner: Week 5, Post B

"Earlier, when I was sure no one was looking, I did something I had done 26 years earlier: I planted a fistful of crumpled money under a mattress" (242).

Wow. Like I said in my last post, I really like this quote, and it really made me smile-- I was so amazed at not only how much Amir has been through, but how deep writing can be.
First, what it means. After witness the brutal rape of his friend Hassan, Amir decides to break off contact with him. Hassan, however, being the kind person that he is, still wants to hang out with Amir and talks to him daily. Unknowingly, this brings out even more guilt in Amir and he feels he must rectify the situation by getting rid of Hassan. He plants money under Hassan's bed in an attempt to frame him for a theft he did not committ. The only problem came when Hassan admitted to stealing the money, and is allowed to continue living with Amir's family.
Amir does the same thing this time, only with different intent. He stays for a night with the family of Farid (Amir's drivers)'s brother. That night, while eating, Hassan sees the children in the house looking at his watch, and he later gives it to them. Unfortuantly, he realizes it was not the watch the children were admiring but the food set next to his hand-- The children could not eat in order to give Amir a proper meal. Feeling guilty, Amir places money under the matress of the family before he leaves.
Long summary? Yes. But I feel a proper build-up is needed if the quote is going to be fully understood. This quote was possibly my favorite of the novel-- it made me feel good, seeing that Amir had such kindness even after what he had been through and done.
Finally, I'd just like to touch on how many emotions literature can bring about. While I wasn't quite going to tears, this story easily can bring many people to cry--It's just that good. There's time when you laugh, when you smile, when you grimace and when you are at the point of tears. It's rare you read a novel this good, and I'm glad to have chosen it.

No comments: