Monday, March 10, 2008

The Kite Runner: Week 5, Post A

VOCAB

Sultry (224):
Hot with passion or anger
Cursory (230): Rapidly and often superficially performed or produced

FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE

"The signs had been there for me to see all along, they came flying back at me now" (224). This is a personification because it gives human like traits to the tell-tale signs depicting Hassan and Amir as brothers.

"[...] that I would wade back into that great, big river and let myself forget" (231). This is imagry and a metaphor in a way, because he's causing his potential forgetfulness and oblivious beahvior a river, which he must not fall into.

"I saw chains of little villages [...] like discarded toys among the rocks" (231). This is a similie because it uses like to compare the small, haunting Afgahn towns to toys, forgotten.

QUOTE

"Earlier, when I was sure no one was looking, I did something I had done 26 years earlier: I planted a fistful of crumpled money under a mattress" (242). I may analyze this further for my post B, but I really liked this quote-- it showed how Amir has changed and grown as a person, and how he still remembers what it's like to be in need, and so he helps out.

THEME

Sometimes, the things we dread the most are the things we must do, which is shown as Amir dreads going to find Hassan's son, yet does it anyway.

No comments: