Monday, March 17, 2008

The Kite Runner: Week 6, Post A

VOCAB

Carafe (313): A bottle used to hold beverages, usually wine or coffee

Trellis (352): A form of latticework used as a support for plants.

FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE

"That's how children deal with terror. They fall asleep" (342). This book is filled with irony, in a sad way of course. This is no exception, since after this scare we never hear Sohrab speak again. It's his way of dealing with terror.

"the hospital was a maze of teeming, angled hallways" (350). This is a metaphor comparing the crazy, passage-filled hospital to a maze, making it tough for people to find their way.

"by the whooshing ventilator beside the bed" (350). This is an onomatopoeia because the word "whooshing" sounds like the action.

QUOTE

"Later, they said I was still screaming when the ambulance arrived" (343). I won't lie: This was the closest I came to crying while reading. And while I'm not quite there, something pangs inside me every time I re-read this part. It's just so sad and so intense...I feel bad for both Sohrab and for Amir.

THEME

There is a way to be good again. This was used in the book during a phone message from Rahim Khan to Amir, and I think it's true: No matter who you were, you can always change.


No comments: