Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Kite Runner: Week 6, Post B

Final thoughts on the book:



One of the words I've been using throughout the book has been a simple one: "wow." The ending really draws the same emotion-- though I'll admit I have a slight feeling that it could have been better. I've been moved intensly over the course of the book...From the intro of the characters, to the happiness after Amir's kite-cutting championship, to the terror when Hassan is cornered- it's all been quite a wild ride.

I'm just going to get it out there right now though-I was fairly annoyed with the ending. Really annoyed? No. Annoyed enough to make me dislike the book? No. But...something deep down made me not like the ending. With Amir kite-running in the end with his "son"...it's all cute and things, but for some reason, it didn't seem complete. Sohrab, to me, wasn't a complete character after he stopped speaking. He didn't convey emotion, he simply annoyed me, and I know it sounds wrong but it's true. I felt terrible for him after Amir said he had to go back to the orphanage--terribly, actually-- but I don't think not speaking was the best solution-for the character or the author.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's definetly one of the best books I've ever read, and though it may not be the top of the list, it's up there, and I will for sure read it again. A true classic.

1 comment:

LilMissAverage said...

Wow =) Thanks! & omg it was a GREAT book. Hassan was soo likeable!