Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Life of Pi: Week 7, Post A

Cultural Differences

All right, well I've talked a lot about the way a woman behaves as a mother, but I haven't really talked about how she behaves a wife...which is interesting. First of all is the way she is chosen. And I mean, that's the weird part, isn't it? She's chosen, it's not a mutual decision, at least not for the most part. That's one main cultural difference. Second is the way she's treated...We don't really see her in the book--but maybe that's the point? Pi's father plays a key role in his development, like on page 50 with the tigers, but we never see Pi's mother, other then brief glimpses when she says very motherly things, like "be careful." I know in my family, my dad plays an equal if not slightly lesser role in my life, but they both treat each other equally--something we can't safely say Pi's parents do or don't. If Pi's father won't introduce her, we won't get to see her--and that's a bad thing.

No comments: