Tuesday, April 15, 2008

At The Crossing Places: Week 1, Post B

Well, first post B since I'm not 100% sure as to what goes into post A. Just mixing it up a bit.
I suppose I'll just start with first impressions. So far....I don't really know, to be honest. It hasn't been anything interesting really, just some set-up information. Arthur de Caldicot, our main character, is a squire for Lord Stephen. As I see it, Lord Stephen is a noble of sorts, who has a kingdom but it's overly powerful. He's training Arthur, but mainly Arthur wants to go out into the Crusades and fight. I think this is pretty typical: Arthur's just a teen who wants to go into battle before understanding any of the politics or really even learning to fight.
I've read the first book, but many years ago, and so went on (where else?) Wikipedia to refresh my memory. Oh yes! I remember. Arthur was the 2nd son of Sir John and therefore cannot recieve any land...First he must become a squire (now) and a knight (later) to get his own land.
In the Seeing Stone (not the first part of the series, but the object), Arthur sees many things. This is one plot device used by Crossley-Holland that I simply don't like. While interesting, it becomes overly confusing. Isn't there an easier way to intertwine two stories? The seeing stone shows another Arthur, much like our Arthur, rise to power as King Arthur, as well as providing backround on King Arthur--Or is it Arthur? It's meant to be similar, and yet to me it's annoying. I'm not 100% sure where this book is headed, but I already don't like it. Bad sign.

No comments: