Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Life of Pi: Week 3, Post B

I suppose I'll do first thoughts again, and expectations for the book. 
So far, I'm only a few chapters in, and I have a few very distinct thoughts. First, it is quite confusing. They never really tell us who Pi is, what he looks like, what he does, we just have to get that out of the stories. Also, the story jumps around. For example, in just the first chapter, Pi starts out talking about his college studies, and his project--Sloths. But not the 2-toed sloths, mind you, the 3-toed ones, though you have to tell that from the front paws, since they all have 3 in the back. All of a sudden, the story jumps, and they're talking about hospitals in Mexico and BAM! it jumps again and they're talking about eating with your hands in Canada. Then the next chapter is just a description. Then, the following chapter is about swimming. Quite confusing, especially for an opener. 
As for expectation, I think I'm setting the bar high. Although Ms. Burgess told me that she knew people who didn't like it, I have heard good things from others. And not that I don't trust Ms. Burgess, I'm just an optimistic person who hopes it will be an enjoyable read rather than a boring one. 

No comments: