Tuesday, April 22, 2008

At the Crossing Places: Week 2, Post A

Collops, Clinchpoop, Poultices. 

What do these words all have in common? They're all words used in the novel that we never say. In fact, I have only heard one of these words in my life. I decided to looks up the words to find out what they mean and why we don't use them...

Collops: Pieces of meat. Comes from the french word escalope.  Scottish collops is a, well, a scottish meal with strips of meat served with potatoes. 

Clinchpoop: According to Urban Dictionary, it's "a moronic person, an idiot." That's how they use it in the book as well, but we just never use it. I'll try to use it in class tomorrow.

Poultices: A soft, moist mass used to treat an injury. This is the word I've heard, and I think maybe we use it sometimes in our "American" english...I just don't use it. At all.

All of these words, and more (maybe I'll add more later) are just words we don't use in our language today but seem to be commonplace back then. Interesting cultural differences you could say...Now excuse me while I go make some collops. Don't make me hurt you clinchpoop, or you'll need a poultice.

No comments: