Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BOOK SWITCH! Life of Pi: Week 3, Post A

All right, so if you've heard me complain you know I hated the old book, so I switched, and thanks to Mrs. Burgess to lending it to me for the time being. 
Well, as for cultural differences. One thing I found interesting was when Pi goes to an Indian restaurant in Canada, and eats with his hands. The server says "Fresh off the boat, are you?" and Pi gets very offended. In India, where Pi grows up, they don't use silverware, which I've personally never thought about, but now that I do, that really is quite weird. Well, not necessarily weird, just different, I suppose. 
Another cultural...well, cultural similarity I found interesting was that of swimming. In the Olympics, you hear of Michael Phelps, and American leading the way. There are a few other foreigners, but no one considers India. In the book, Pi's father was a big swimmer, as is Pi, and he practices three times a week, not counting the millions of times he goes over it mentally in his head, thinking of everything.
Just two things you never really think about--eating utensils and swimming, that are practiced differently in other cultures.

No comments: