Tuesday, April 15, 2008

At the Crossing Places: Week 1, Post A

All right, well...cultural differences. Suprisingly, I found quite a few. One main thing I was thinking about while reading was the importance of family heritage, and heredity. Now, that's obviously not a big issue. But as we learned in AP Euro, and in this class, that's ALL that mattered. In this book, Arthur couldn't inherit any of his land because he was the second born son. Everything, including pretty much your whole life path, is determind by your parents and your birth order. Which, connecting back to present day, I find interesting. Recently, a lot of studies have come out about birth order and how it affect a child. I found this interesting: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1672715,00.html. It talks about how birth order can affect kids--But can it really? I found this quote pretty interesting:
"People read birth-order books the way they read horoscopes," warns Toni Falbo, professor of educational psychology at the University of Texas. "'I'm a middle-born, so that explains everything in my life'—it's just not like that."
In family, it's not like that, either. But for some, maybe it is. Back then, birth order really mattered. Today? Not so much.

1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

Looks like you figured it out! In the future, check edline. I didn't have the document at home, but you can find our assignments there.

Mrs. B.